The curriculum is designed to prepare both deaf and hearing students to serve the Jewish deaf community. All classes at HSD are interpreted in Sign Language.
The Rabbinical Ordination Program:
Fields of Study:
- Five years including one year at Jewish Theological Seminary of America (JTS) in New York City
- Must develop proficiency in both Hebrew and Sign Language
- Must pass a series of comprehensive examinations
- All courses require a term paper or examination. Instructor may require both.
- Thesis, researched and written in cooperation with three advisors, is mandatory for ordination.
- Jewish Law
- Jewish History
- Jewish Philosophy
- Biblical Hebrew Narrative
- Biblical Hebrew Grammar
- Deaf Culture
- Deaf Studies
- Comparative Religion
- Hebrew Language
Sign Language (ASL)
HSD will operate on a 12-month school year, with two 16-week semesters and a 9-week semester in the summer.
home | top